Position Title: Chief of Public Policy and Research
Summary of Position: Child Care Aware® of America is our nation’s leading voice for child care. We work to ensure that families in every community have access to quality, affordable child care. The Policy and Research Department is a fundamental function of the organization as it strives to achieve its mission. The Chief of Policy and Research will lead, in partnership with the Executive Director and the Policy Team, Child Care Aware® of America’s efforts to develop and promote its policy and research agenda. The Chief of Policy and Research contributes to Child Care Aware® of America’s mission by providing strategic leadership for a policy and research agenda that influences positive change shaping the future of child care in America.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide vision, leadership and management of the policy and research department, including Federal Policy, State Initiatives, and Research.
- Provide leadership in developing a policy and research agenda that promotes Child Care Aware® of America’s mission and vision.
- Create a strategy and matrix to support the organizations research agenda based on the review of national, state and local child care priorities.
- Lead the creation of outcome measures, in partnership with policy and research team members, research plans and evaluation strategies and systems for Child Care Aware® of America’s programs and partnerships
- Lead the research and policy teams approach to survey research to describe trends and best practices that inform Child Care Aware® of America’s development of programs and services
- Design surveys and systems to collect and analyze information as requested by the Executive Director
- Oversee projects and manage staff in developing strategies, timelines, goals and deliverables to accomplish all tasks.
- Strategically oversee and manage staff in the development of research reports for the field and policymakers based on the findings of data analysis, research and other evaluations
- Partner with key Board Members, executives, staff, CCR&Rs and community partners to ensure clarity of Child Care Aware® of America’s positioning and understanding of strategic objectives.
- Prepare and oversee department budget, identify potential revenue streams and participate in fund development activities, including grant writing.Source and execute new opportunities including new products, services and strategic partnerships that will contribute to Child Care Aware® of America’s leadership and financial growth.
- Speak publicly on behalf of Child Care Aware® of America to a wide variety of audiences, presentations at national and state conferences, speaking to the media, and serving on committees and advisory groups as directed.
- Serve as key player within the senior staff's cross-departmental Executive management team, assuring that policy and research perspectives contribute to creative solutions to programmatic questions; establish a close, collaborative working relationship with other Executive team members, and provide timely communications within Child Care Aware® of America on all significant public policy developments.
- A Master’s degree or higher in public policy, early childhood or related field, and a minimum of 10 years of directly related, progressive work experience in child care or related policy areas.
- A successful record of creative leadership in the development and implementation of comprehensive policy, research and communications programs in a complex, multi-layered, work environment.
- Knowledge and experience in the development of public policy, research, communication agenda.
- Knowledge of the legislative process at the local, state, and federal levels.
- In depth knowledge of national and state policies affecting child care and children.
- Strategic thinking, planning, and management skills to conceptualize a policy agenda and affect its delivery.
- Project management skills to manage complex and varied projects.
- Analytical and critical skills to formulate policy options, and develop viable recommendations.
- Research skills to plan and conduct research and to evaluate research activities.
- Superior writing and presentation skills demonstrated in authoring position papers, reports, and communications materials including speeches, presentations and publications.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills to engage stakeholders, potential partners and collaborators to work on projects of mutual interest.
- Track record of innovative thinking, analysis and practical activity;
- Strong relationship builder;
- Team-player with ability to influence and motivate others;
- Practical business skills with proven experience in budgeting and financial management, establishing partnerships and fund development.
- Excellent computer skills and experience with the Microsoft Office suite of products.
- Encourages and practices critical thinking;
- Is self-reflective and empathic;
- Maintains a respectful and accepting approach to others;
- Strong leader with executive-level influencing skills;
- Collaboratively and creatively supports the work efforts of colleagues at all levels and in all areas of the organization;
- Committed to larger organizational mission
Child Care Aware® of America