Parent Leader Highlights
- ARKANSAS: Ben Hammond presented for our Child Care Aware® Parent Network (CCAPN) monthly webinar, Fire Safety: Protecting Our Children in October 2011. The presentation is full of information that all parents should have and we highly recommend you watch it! You can view the presentation here. Ben was also one of the parents featured on CNN Money in September 2011, speaking about the cost of child care.
- CONNECTICUT: Lauren Lyn has a meeting set up with Senator Blumenthal’s Hartford, CT office to share her story and ask the Senator to co-sponsor S. 581 the Child Care Protection Act, which requires background checks for child care providers.
- IDAHO: Brandi Whaley has been working on behalf of the non-profit she began this year, Shaken Baby Prevention of Idaho. She recently presented a training session about Shaken Baby Syndrome prevention for child care providers through Idaho STARS CCR&R.
- INDIANA: Casey Williams met with Senator Lugar’s office and delivered hundreds of background check petition signatures. Casey’s efforts to raise a parent advocacy group in Indiana were featured in an article in The Southside Times.
- KANSAS: Alecia and Steve Patrick met with Senator Roberts’ district office to share her story and tell the Senator why supporting pending background check legislation is personal for her. Their meeting was instrumental in getting Senator Roberts to Co-sponsor S. 581. Alecia is working on this while nearly 9 months pregnant!
- MISSOURI: In a series of articles published by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the families of Sam Pratt, Nathan Blecha and Tyler Brodyspoke out about the dangers of unlicensed care. All three children lost their lives in unlicensed child care settings. Shelley Blecha, shared how her tragic story reveals gaps in current child care law.
- PENNSYLVANIA: Vicky Dougherty met with Senator Casey’s and Toomey’s offices to share her story and ask them to support pending background check legislation (S. 581 and H.R. 1711 and H.R. 1726). Next stop Hill meetings!
- VIRGINIA: Betsy Cummings has a meeting set up with Representative Scott’s office to share her story and other parent’s stories that have taken place in her district. Stephanie Serafini was featured in the CNN Money report about the cost of child care.
For more information visit our Fall Advocacy Campaign page.